Needlework, Finishing, Designing, Quilting, Some Discoveries and Adventures in Stitching from Windy Ridge Designs

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Oh You Are Just Not Going To Believe This!

This morning, I'm sitting at my computer, trying to get the last of my "business" finished so I can go upstairs and sew.  My husband comes in the house shouting for me - all beside himself.  I'm not kidding, for a moment there it looked like there were two of them.  He comes storming into my office and I'm looking at him like he's got two heads because he's been in a bit of a mood this morning.
He says "I" emphasis on the I  "have been VI-lated!"  That's the way we say it around here, because it's funny most of the time.  We've been VI-lated when we have been violated.

Then he says . . . "and they VI-lated you too!"  I'm sitting there at my computer not feeling very violated at all.  I decided to take a different approach, because, as I said, he's been in a bit of a mood this morning.  So, instead of saying "What are you freaking talking about???"  I said "Oh, honey, I'm so sorry, is there anything I can do? Hmmmm?"  I mean, my words are just dripping with solicitation.  Thought that would soothe the savage beast.

Then he said "They" the mysterious THEY again "broke into the shed and stole the rototiller."

WHAT!!!????  He was right, I really had been VI-lated.

So, even though it would do absolutely no good, I dutifully called the non-emergency number for the sheriff's office.  I told them that I needed to report a robbery.  The girl on the phone started asking me questions about guns and had I been beaten and I was like, what-on-earth-are-you-talking-about?????  Finally I said, "They" broke into the shed and stole the rototiller.  Oh, she says.  That's breaking and entering, not robbery.

Oh, for heaven's sake!

So, she puts me through to dispatch where I say I need to report a B&E (I sounded like I should  be an extra on Law and Order, really, I did) and they said they'd send someone out.

A while later - and that was OK, because this really was NOT an emergency, although my husband HAD been VI-lated, the deputy came.  I showed him the shed door, I showed him where we'd last seen the rototiller (yesterday afternoon by the way, because we cut the grass in advance of the approaching rainout we're supposed to get from the remnants of tropical storm Issac) and he was taking pictures and having me fill out paperwork.

Then, my husband and son come running up to the deputy and were talking all gobbledygook and excitement and pointing and while I thought that his being Vi-lated had completely melted my husband's brains, the deputy actually made sense of what they were saying, jumped in his cruiser and sped off with lights flashing.  I've still got his pen.

What had happened was that while I was doing paperwork, a pickup truck drove by on the road.  The driver slowed down excessively while he and his passenger were looking intently at us and the deputy.  While all that was going on (that's what my husband saw) my son noticed that perched proudly in the back of the pick up was a rototiller that he swore looked like ours!  I was like, oh, come ON, you've got to be kidding me?  You recognized the mud and rust spots?  Oh, My, God!

I thought, that deputy is going to come back and shoot me just to put me out of my misery living with my husband and son.

So, in disgust, I went back inside and sat back down to my computer to resume my "business" so I could finally go sew.  And no sooner had I logged back in, the phone rang.  It was dispatch.  The deputy wanted to know if we could come to his location and identify the rototiller.

Really?

So, I grabbed my husband and we went.  The deputy had caught up with them about a mile up the road and he had my husband look at the rototiller in the back of the pickup.  Now, I gotta tell you, my husband does not lie.  EVER.  Not even a white lie.  He even gets mad at me about what he calls "lies of omission".  He's a stickler.  And I knew when he looked at that rototiller that it was ours.  It was all over his face.  But, he continued to look at it because - and I knew this before he confirmed it later - he didn't want to be wrong.  He didn't want to accuse these young men unless he was absolutely, 100% sure.  The problem - or I guess I should say their problem - was that he'd done a rube-goldberg sort of repair on the thing a few years ago and while we didn't have the serial number and we could say that there were some tines broken, but didn't know exactly how many, etc. etc., my husband did recognize his repair.  Even the deputy asked him if he was absolutely sure.  And my husband looked him in the eye and said he was absolutely sure.

And when my husband says that, it is absolutely the truth because he's one of those old fashioned guys whose word really means something.

So, these guys have a whole bunch of stuff in the back of the pick up truck along with the rototiller.  And inside the truck, they have this huge collection of knives - including a sword!  The deputy called for backup and one guy was put in the back of each cruiser.  One deputy talked to one guy and the other deputy talked to the other guy.  Ended up, they both told the same story - that they'd been to a flea market and bought the rototiller.  Oh, I forgot to mention that the guys don't have insurance on their vehicle and that's illegal in this state.  We don't have any uninsured motorists fee that you can pay, you HAVE to have insurance.  And they weren't real friendly with the deputy.

In the end this is what they did -  The deputy told us we could go home and get some tools, the ones my husband said he needed to sort of dismantle the rototiller so we could get it inside my hatchback and take it home.  So we did that, and brought back my son to help.  Husband and son did what they needed to do and got it into the back of my car.  Then the deputies told us that they were going to follow the two suspects back to the flea market and have them point out the guy they'd bought the rototiller from.  Then, they'd sort it out whether or not these two were telling the truth or if they were really the "perps".  That's why they didn't just have the guys drive back to our house with the thing in their truck, because they could really be the bad guys.  Doesn't matter.  I told the deputy to tell them that if they came back to my house, they should not mistake me for a shrinking violet - I would see to it that they were permanently out of action if they came into my house while I was there.  This state has a no-retreat law.

The two guys will either lead them to the "big fish" who really stole the rototiller, or they will be arrested for receipt of stolen property.  

So, I still have the paperwork and the deputy's pen.  I need to finish the paperwork up and then will drop them off for him at the offices.  Neither of the deputies thought the two were telling the truth.   Neither did I.  One of the guys said to my husband that he was "so embarrassed".  But, neither of them ever said they were sorry.  Now, if you'd bought stolen property and got caught with it and had the "victims" right there in front of you, wouldn't YOU say you were sorry?  I would.  To me that shows that you really didn't know it was stolen and you really are sorry.   In fact, earlier, the deputy had told me that there had been a rash of these sort of break ins in both sheds and houses.  Things were being stolen and folks might find them in pawn shops from here to Baltimore.  Know what was on the side of the truck?  A Baltimore Ravens sticker.  Yep.  Most folks out here are either Redskins or Steelers fans.  Oh, the other thing they're doing with stuff is taking it to be scrapped.  Scrap metal is paying high dollar these days.

It's been quite a day.  My poor husband has to go outside in this brutal humidity though and repair the shed door as best he can so we can lock it back up.  Meanwhile, I was going to go up and work on my Veterans stocking project, but I need to do something relaxing.  I'm going to do some experimental quilting instead.  Quite a coincidence though, huh?  The rototiller goes driving by and my son recognizes it from mud and rust marks?  While the sheriff is standing in our driveway?  I guess we weren't driving faster than our Guardian Angels could fly this time. 

I don't know if we'll hear the rest of the story on this, but I do hope so.  It's like when your satellite TV goes bonkers and you lose the last ten minutes of the mystery drama you were watching.  Hope you enjoyed!

15 comments:

  1. Glad it turned out all right for you and your husband. Most times that's not the case. And I totally know what you mean about the frustration of missing the last 10 minutes of something...in this case, I'd be wondering about where those 2 fine citizens ended up. How did your experimental quilting go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele - when I drop off the paper work for the deputy, I'm going to leave him a note saying that we'd like to know "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say. I am also pretty sure that those "two fine citizens" as you say, are going to the pokey. The deputy was particularly interested in all those knives and the sword. He laid them all out, nice and neat on the hood of the truck (which wasn't theirs either, by the way) and took pictures. Me thinks those fellas are in bunches of trouble. I hope to make a post tomorrow about the experimental quilting - with pictures!

      Delete
  2. Great episode! Hope it is not the season finale! Years ago, we lived in a garden apartment, and had a sliding glass door that led to a small concrete slab with a somewhat fancy fence around it--about 4 feet high. Well, (now ex- )hubby was going to sea and I would not be using his motorcycle, so my brother came over and together they lifted the bike OVER the fence and chained it there for the duration while he was gone (six months). Well, shortly after, as I was going about my business I looked out and realized it was gone!! I had not brought it in the house--someone else had cut the chain, and lifted it over the fence and stole it!! I could not believe it and neither could my brother (who had sustained an injury to his elbow lifting it I found out later...). I reported it but they had little hope of ever finding it. We had cancelled the insurance, of course... Well, six months later we got a call from the police department that they had done a 'sting' operation and thought they had our bike! Hubby was back, so we went together and sure enough--it was ours! And only one gauge had been broken--otherwise it was in great shape! Long story to say you never know... do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggee - it's just too weird, isn't it? Glad the bike turned back up though.

      Delete
  3. WOW!!!!! What a day! I hope your week-end takes a turn for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something similar happened at my parents house last week. The guy was loading things by the barn in to his car. Mom confronted him while my niece videotaped it all. Apparently scrap metal is a big hit nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - we've had several instances of unoccupied homes having all the copper piping stolen out of them. Just last week a friend told me about the church across the street from her house. They decided to use the rectory for classrooms instead of a home for the rector. So, no one in it 24-7. I think it was that they turned it into a nursery/daycare. They came in on Monday morning to find that the water was not working. When they went into the basement to get it fixed (they'd called the plumber) the reason for no water became obvious - there were no pipes! She said at least the thieves had the courtesy to turn off the water before they cut the pipes!

      Delete
  5. Gosh, how horrible. And so glad you got it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it was a good thing, Gabi - I might now be required to put my garden back in shape!

      Delete
  6. What a start to your day! At least you got your belongings back, please let us know the outcome.

    My shed was broken into when i moved here, "they" took a brand new lawn mover and strimmer, neither of which i'd had time to get out of the boxes! Never found them.

    Interesting that some states don't require Insurance, here in the UK you must have vehicle insurance, just re-newed mine this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Maggie, at that moment when we were reporting the theft, neither one of us thought we'd ever see that Rototiller again. If I get any more information, I will definitely tell ya'll. Yes, some states, like Maryland, let uninsured motorists pay a fee. Others, like ours, have risk pools that people can buy into. That's why it's illegal here to not have insurance. I was thinking of you just this morning while I was sewing - so glad to hear from you!

      Delete
  7. Goodness me how horrible. Glad you got it back though

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is unbelievable! I thought you were going to say something like" I knocked my sewing machine on the floor and broke it"

    Hope the creeps get what they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting post to read! I hate burglars and have had them "visit" me three times. We also have lots of stolen copper wiring around here for recycling and read about thieves being electrocuted and killed while stealing the wire all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Can't wait to hear what you've got to say! Unless you're the spammer who keeps commenting anonymously - then thanks, but no thanks, I'm not interested - and your comments just get deleted anyway.