Needlework, Finishing, Designing, Quilting, Some Discoveries and Adventures in Stitching from Windy Ridge Designs

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Give Me an F

It's been a heck of a week.  I've taken a new position with the historical society and am now trying to sort out the work done before me so I can try to start with a clean slate.  It's not as easily done as said.

But, I did promise to share some of the things from the goody bag gifted to me by my friend a few weeks ago.

Here's the F - and it's accompanying paperwork.  I originally thought that they were iron-on letters.  But, they're vintage.  Who knew that in "vintage times" they didn't iron their letters onto their sweaters - not me.  Turns out that this is a "cotton form" (I have them in various sizes) that you attach to whatever you're putting the letter on and then you sew (presumably by hand) over it (presumably in something like a satin stitch).  And VIOLA!  You have a letter F on whatever you're putting it onto - sweater, hankie, towel - where were all the places that LaVerne put all her initials?  I seem to remember there were a lot of things.  That was tres chic back then. 





Anyway, neither of my names begin with an F - so, if yours does, email me and I will exchange for your goodies.

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of the L that Laverne put on all her clothes on Laverne & Shirley, LOL! Pretty neat, though.

    ReplyDelete

Can't wait to hear what you've got to say! Unless you're the spammer who keeps commenting anonymously - then thanks, but no thanks, I'm not interested - and your comments just get deleted anyway.