Needlework, Finishing, Designing, Quilting, Some Discoveries and Adventures in Stitching from Windy Ridge Designs

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hazy Hot and Humid - With a Chance of Peacocks

I took this photo this morning at about 5:30 AM when it was already 72 humid degrees outside. 

Flow Blue
Now, I know, I should not be complaining about 72 degrees.  I heard on the news this morning that the heat index somewhere in Iowa yesterday was 127 degrees.  Now that's just wrong.  Rest assured, all that heat and humidity are headed my way and by the end of the week I'll be calling myself roasted something-or-other.

Going to see the client today with the oriental quilt top.  We'll discuss how it will be quilted.  Here's what it looks like:

Oriental Peacocks
Remember I told you this was a kit that she ordered.  Take my advice and don't buy the kit.  The instructions were, in my opinion, not good.  I actually found two errors that - if I had followed the instructions - would have really screwed me up fabric-wise.  There was also an error on how many of a certain triangle to cut.  And we won't talk about the headache of having to cut each of those fan pieces by using a template.  Three templates actually - because of course when you make one out of that milk carton plastic, they don't stand up to a rotary cutter too well. 

However, I will say that the template thing was mostly my fault.  The directions did say that you should copy the fan blades onto freezer paper and cut them all out.  I just thought I would go crazy doing that, so went ahead with the other recommended way which was the templates.  Bad decision.  But I own it. 

Also, I wanted to tell you about a discovery I made on my camera.  I have two little Nikon Coolpixs that have this feature, so maybe you will too.  You know how when we take pictures indoors and use the flash, things turn out washed out, too bright, BAD.  Well, I found this "scene" setting on my camera that is for "Party/Indoors" and I used it.  I took pictures of the quilt top using the flash, not using the flash and using the party setting.  Turns out, the party setting gave me the most true colors on the quilt.  Interesting, huh?  So, check out your cameras and see if it works for you too.

Hope you enjoyed! 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, what a beautiful quilt top! It truly is gorgeous. I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a pretty quilt! I will love to see the quilting that you do. And I have to agree with you on kits. I don't like their instructions sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt top! Can't wait to see the quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Can't wait to hear what you've got to say! Unless you're the spammer who keeps commenting anonymously - then thanks, but no thanks, I'm not interested - and your comments just get deleted anyway.