I finally settled on this:
Basically I stitched a part of the scene on the bottom of the sampler and then a couple of words. Added a few more geese to fill in space too. I also wanted to speed up the framing process. I picked up the frames, really nice coppery colored ones, on sale. They are 8x10 photo size - that gives you an idea of scale.
I stretched WDW overdyed wool in Wine over foam core board and then cut my linen to a size that was smaller than the field of the background.
I then fringed about a half inch of the linen on all sides and laid it out on top of the wool. I didn't even have to tack it because the wool grabs the linen and keeps it in place - like a flannel design wall grabs your quilt squares.
Then I just closed up the frames and covered the back with some very pretty scrapbook paper (they were small enough for that).
I thought you guys might like to see this way of decreasing the amount of stitching and saving money on framing. I'm glad I did this post because I'd forgotten about my version of this - need to pull it out of the basement and hang it up since it IS that time of year again! Hope you like it.