Needlework, Finishing, Designing, Quilting, Some Discoveries and Adventures in Stitching from Windy Ridge Designs

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A "No Pic" Post About the Chase Sampler

He who laughs last, laughs longest - and she who brags gets snatched up!  I sat down Sunday night to begin working on the Chase Sampler.  First, divide all the floss that came in the kit and match it up to the letters using the color chart.  The color chart.  Where in the heck is the color chart?  Seems I now know why I picked my kit up for 75 cents.  It is incomplete. 

I have managed to cobble together twelve of the colors via the instructions for stitching particular runs.  However, that leaves 12 more that I am only able to speculate about.  The color picture on the chart is not that good and I have noticed some fading on the pre-printed linen so I'm sure the picture is faded as well.

Found Erica's Blog and emailed her to see if she could help out.  Erica would be a stitching angel (as she got back to me right away and was very helpful to a complete stranger), but her kit was made by Paragon and apparently has different instructions.  Her site does have an excellent picture of her completed sampler though that I may use to complete mine.

Have also found Rebecca in Iowa who found a nearly completed version on Ebay and finished it.   I've written to her, hoping she can help me out.  If anyone out there knows anyone else who might have finished this sampler and can put me in contact with them, I'd really really appreciate it.  Hope you enjoyed - or at least laughed about my predicament.  I've been laughing - I should have expected it the way last week was going.

12 comments:

  1. OH NO! That is too bad. Something that would happen to me.

    Hope you get it together and have fun stitching!

    Peggy H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is still a great find, and not an insuperable setback. I don't think it is a laughing matter so much as a shrug of the shoulders and rueful smile kind of thing. I'm glad you aren't feeling crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess every silver lining comes with a cloud. Glad it's not getting you down, and best of luck finding a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!
    I'd just use the colours where I thought they looked nice, who is going to know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i found the same kit several years ago at goodwill for 3 dollars, unopened and complete. am almost finished, have all instructions. email me at caitdevin@yahoo.com and i will photocopy and mail you what you need. including a strand of each color, tagged. sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. i emailed you a photo of the instructions for the chase sampler, elsa williams williamsburg reproduction. hope you got it and were able to read. if not email me again and i will snail mail them. i am almost finished with mine, just one urn and flowers and half the grass to go. i am then going to put in the original text from two hundred fifty years ago. i was attracted to this sampler because ive always wanted to visit colonial williamsburg. in a few months i will finally be making the trip. i will take my sampler and compare it to the original. i may wait to put in the text so i can have a better idea of what her writing looked like. it doesnt show up in any of the photos ive seen. good luck on yours. sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please someone share snippets of the thread they used on this sampler. I bought one on Ebay without the thread and found that the Peri Lusta thread is no longer in production. Snippets would allow me to replace with DMC or some other available thread.

    sqclement@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had the kit for years and am just about finished with it. The kit came w/more than enough thread which I won't need. I'd be willing to give it to someone who needs it. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Anonymous - I would be glad to have any of this thread you would share with me. I can't find 11 of the colors even after months of buying Peri-Lusta on Ebay.

    Please email me at sqclement@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anyone still have the instructions for this sampler? Mine is half done from when I was in my 20's. I still have all the threads, but have lost the chart that goes with it. Would be happy to give away any extra thread when I finish to someone who might need it if I can only get the instructions fro completion. Thanks!

    Please email me at michelle.hughes@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this sampler "on hold" for about 30 years! I recently finished a 20 year afghan project and now I'm determined to finish this sampler and a crewel project before I'm too old to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel so bad ladies about finishing it. I too have this lovely sampler and it took me 10 years working on it off and on to get it done. Just because I would put it away for a while and then drag it out. I was raising my daughter in those years and kept busy. I put my name and the years "1974 - 1984" on it sort of as a joke. It has hung on my wall for nearly 30 years. I still enjoy looking at it just for the interest of the little animals, flowers and the trees.

      Delete

Can't wait to hear what you've got to say! Unless you're the spammer who keeps commenting anonymously - then thanks, but no thanks, I'm not interested - and your comments just get deleted anyway.